Autumn is such a great time of year! There are so many fun + seasonal things to enjoy. I mean, what’s not to love?! As we start to experience cooler temperatures, the leaves start to change, food becomes pumpkin spice everything and we start to get excited about the nearing the holidays!
Here are some of our favorite family activities that you can do this Fall:
1. Take daily walks – When the temperatures are higher in the summer, morning walks are sometimes all you can do. But once fall temperatures roll around, we are able to go at any time of the day, kids in tow of course! Taking a family walk is a great opportunity to get some exercise while exploring + talking about all of the things that we may see or find... birds, trees, colors, bugs, etc...
2. Visit the local nature center or regional park – Local to Long Beach, El Dorado Nature Center is wonderful to visit any time of year, especially in the fall. And just across the way is El Dorado Regional Park. They allow day camping, fishing and have awesome bike/walking trails for all the outdoor fun! It’s a great place to have a picnic, too! Do a quick Google search to find a local nature center or regional park near you!
3. Have a family-friendly Halloween movie night – Between all the online streaming sites for TV shows + movies, having a family movie night (without having to run out and rent a movie) has never been easier! Some of our family's favorites are Hocus Pocus, Nightmare Before Christmas, + It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.
4. Take family photos – Fall is the perfect time of year to take annual family photos. It's nice to make a point every fall to get the whole family together + have someone snap some photos! You will be so glad to have the yearly memories to look back on. Plus, this is always a good option if you enjoy sending out family holiday cards!
5. Do Fall crafts together – There are so many fall crafts out there that are perfect for little ones. This is something that your kids will enjoy and look forward to year after year. Some fun ideas are leaf painting, pumpkin carving, and even finding the many different leaf colors and making a gradient! This is a fun way to learn about why leaves change colors.
6. Dress up in costumes – Whether you're going out for Halloween this year or not, the little ones will love picking out their costumes and dressing up as their favorite superhero, animal, or whatever their imagination dreams up. Of course, snap plenty of pictures!
7. Go "camping" in the backyard – Who says you have to be somewhere else to go camping? Pitch a tent in the backyard, set up sleeping bags, roast s'mores over a fire pit, + read some stories under the stars!
8. Draw pumpkins + ghosts with sidewalk chalk – Who doesn't love sidewalk chalk!? It is such easy set-up + clean-up! Pick a day to have a spooky season-themed drawing session. It will not disappoint!
What are some of your favorite fall activities??